Friday, August 13, 2010

Eight "Fun" months on Earth

The Bibba is eight months old today....and I have been a grandparent, it seems like, since I was put on this earth.  I know this sounds simplistic, but sometimes I feel as if I was born for this role. 

What does it mean to be a grandma?  or in my case a Yaya?  In ancient Greek the term Yaya literally means "woman."  Many Greek grandmothers are called Yaya out of respect for reaching the pinnacle of womanhood.  Do you hear that out there, grandmas?  We have reached the pinnacle....hmmm.

In almost all traditions and cultures of the world, Yaya represents the highest form of woman, achieved only by initiation, experience and longevity.  Wow!  No wonder I feel as if I have earned something, as the Bibba initiated me into the respected circle of Yayas everywhere.

For those of you who know me, you know that I have actually worked hard for this distinction and my life has sometimes felt and seemed like one long, hard initiation into something......but with all past references aside, there is no wonder that I feel the great weight of being a symbol of womanhood to this small Bibba of a future woman.  

I hope that on this eighth month of her short life on earth, so far, (funny, I feel as if she has always been in my life) she knows how very seriously I take this title of Yaya and the role of elder woman in her life....but on a lighter note, I have never had more "fun" doing anything else in my life on Earth.


Dear Bibba,

I have spent the past eight months marveling at the wonder that is you!  You are a conglomerate of many different genes and chromosomes from two distinct groups of people that have come together to make you uniquely You....and what a unique person you have already become in my life. 

When I think of you my heart literally grows warm....no, Yaya is not having a heart attack....just melting inside from the wonder of you.  I always think of the word Fun with a capital F when I see or interact with you.  I hope you never lose that ability to have fun, my Bibba, no matter what is going on around you. 

I can never stay sad or serious when you are around.  Ironically the two longest visits I have had with you, March (4 months) and July (7 months) have been spent at the most "fun" place on Earth.  I am starting to see a pattern here........


Bibba, you have brought fun, laughter and joy, back into this hardworking, cynical woman's life.  I am eternally grateful for this and I promise to keep the fun alive for you when we are together.  Not a hard thing to do when I see you! 

Before you were born I saw a baby t-shirt that said, "What goes on at grandma's stays at grandma's" and just like Vegas I promise to always be a place where you can have fun, be yourself and safely tell me anything.  As you spread your wings, experience life and have fun doing it, I want Yaya to mean a safe haven for you. 

Whether poolside, in a bathtub or at Disney World, Bibba, you know how to live it up already! Don't ever lose that.  The world is a serious, sad place all on it's own, but by having the qualities of fun and laughter you will always draw people to you, as you do now, and wherever you are will be the place to be!  Just like your bib says, "It is Fun Being Me" and it should be fun being you because you are a special unique person.

One of my fondest memories of you these past eight months was in June, the video your mom emailed me (another modern marvel of this techno age) you were in the tub and laughing hysterically as your mother swatted at a fly with a towel.  You laughed so hard you got the hiccups and I watched that video many times laughing right along with you!  Laughter really is the best medicine. 

You are going to be a well traveled (thanks to your military father) well loved and well cared for young girl and this is going to make you an interesting and fun young woman.  I already feel richer for having you in my life Bibba......so Happy Eight Fun months on Earth...may the fun begin and go on for your entire lifetime! 

Love,

Your fun and funny (just ask your mom and your Aunt) Yaya

1 comment: